While there are many ways to repair your garage door, it’s best to let a professional handle the job. Broken parts and worn or loose fasteners can be difficult to spot, even for a trained eye. Performing basic maintenance such as tapping nails and tightening loose fasteners can prevent a serious issue. But for more serious problems, it’s best to call a professional. Here are some of the most common issues and tips for garage door repair.
- First, check the remote control. If the remote control is not working, debris or a broken antenna could be the culprit. If that’s the case, the remote needs to be reprogrammed. Another potential problem is a faulty power supply. Make sure the cord is plugged in all the way and the wall switch is on. Also, plugin another appliance to test the power supply. If you can’t fix the problem, call a professional to check the circuitry.
- Another problem that can lead to a garage door being stuck in an ajar or obstructed track. It can cause excessive wear and tear over time. If one track is bent, it will put pressure on the mirroring track and prevent the door from functioning properly. Misaligned tracks can also result from natural wear and tear. A new garage door track will help solve the problem. If your tracks are bent, you might want to call a garage door repair company.
- Among the most common garage door repairs are broken extension springs. When they break, they make a loud cracking sound. You may not even notice it until the door stops working. Broken extension springs may require replacement. When it comes to commercial or industrial doors, however, spring replacement is a relatively inexpensive option. It is important to consider the type of garage door you have. You might also need to replace the rollers or hinges.
- You may also need to replace your door’s springs, which are the main components of the garage. Broken springs, for example, can cause the door to stay closed or be stuck. If you don’t know how to replace the springs, call a garage door repair company and have them replaced. If the springs are broken, the door won’t close properly and it’s difficult to fix on your own, so call a professional for assistance.
- Another part of your garage door that may need repairs is the cables that hold it together. These cables can snap completely or gradually wear out, causing the garage door to hang at an angle and potentially cause injury. Even worse, the cables can break, causing the garage door to be stuck. They’re also very high-tension, so incorrect installation can result in a dangerous situation. If you’re not careful, the door can fall and cause serious injury – or even trap people underneath it.
Hire Professionals or DIY?
Whether you want to fix a garage roller door yourself or hire a pro, it’s important to keep these things in mind. If you do not replace worn door parts, you may be faced with a larger problem in the future.
A worn door will likely have problems after a certain number of cycles and may need to be replaced soon afterwards. This is an unnecessary expense. So, the best solution for a broken garage door repair is to call a garage door repair specialist and let them assess the damage.
When hiring a professional, be sure to ask them to offer you same-day service. While it’s tempting to fix problems yourself, it’s better to leave it to a professional. Professionals are highly skilled at diagnosing and fixing garage door problems.
Additionally, garage door repairs can be dangerous, because they involve complex electrical wiring. Inexperienced DIYers can cause severe injuries or even damage your property. Always err on the side of caution.
When contacting a garage door repair service, remember that rates will vary across the country. Some companies offer 24-hour emergency repairs, while others will charge twice as much after that time. To determine what the rate will be, visit a garage door service company’s website.
Most of these sites will provide a map of their service areas. If you don’t live in their service area, you can use Google maps to find a facility near your home. But remember that calling a company that doesn’t service your area can cause delays and extra costs.
If you need a garage door repair, the typical service call includes manual inspection, adjustments, chain/belt tension, limits and force adjustment, and door lubrication. When your garage door breaks, it’s important to call a professional for repairs. While you might be tempted to fix the problem yourself, it’s better to leave it to someone who is trained and experienced. Additionally, garage door repairs can be dangerous, so it’s best to err on the side of caution.